Hudson River Housing Wind Chill Fundraiser
Time & Location
About The Event
The Lab is joining our friends at Hudson River Housing (HRH) for their 14th Annual Wind Chill Dinner to raise funds and awareness in support for their programs for the homeless.
This year HRH is offering two options for your participation: in-person* and virtual. With both options, attendees are offered the opportunity to learn more deeply about the experience of homelessness, and how our community is working together to prevent and end it.
Whether you join us in-person or from home, you will have the opportunity to:
- View the debut of our “Everyone Deserves a Door” exhibit, a moving assemblage of stories and artwork produced by Hudson River Housing residents.
- View an excerpt from a forthcoming documentary on homelessness in Poughkeepsie filmed and produced in coordination with Hudson River Housing by award winning filmmaker Lowell Handler. In-person guests will be treated to a Q&A with staff and the filmmaker after the viewing.
- Join the Hudson Valley Performing Arts Lab (that's us!) for a storytelling performance rooted in the experience of homelessness.
- Sign up for volunteer opportunities with PPE4ALL, a student-led grassroots organization operating out of the Poughkeepsie Trolley Barn that is producing life-saving PPE for essential workers across the US.
- Visit the Poughkeepsie Underwear Factory to learn about the incredible volunteer effort that provides 100+ meals every night of the year for the homeless in our community (and has for decades), and send your words of compassion with a personal note to go with the meal being packed up on site for delivery to the homeless shelter.
- In-person guests will be treated to an individually-portioned light dinner. Virtual attendees can join in with access to recipes provided by our caterer, Flores Food Truck, as well as a voucher to Flores Food Truck for use at a future date.
It takes compassion, dedication, and community to keep people safe, housed, and supported, during a pandemic and all the time. Amidst all our world is experiencing, this is good, important work that we can connect to and play a role in, and which reinforces our gratitude for all that we have to give.
We hope you will join us - in-person* or from home - for what promises to be a unique and meaningful experience.
*Social distancing will be enforced. Wear your mask.
About Hudson River Housing:
Hudson River Housing improves lives and communities through housing with compassion and development with vision. They are dedicated to building strong, sustainable communities by developing and preserving quality, affordable housing and helping families and individuals obtain and maintain housing through education, advocacy, and support services. HRH affirms that housing is a basic human right that should be available to all, regardless of income, family makeup, physical or mental health issues, or any other defining factors.
Hudson River Housing works towards inclusive neighborhood revitalization by leveraging affordable housing and community building as critical tools, creating long-term opportunity for individuals and families and building greater socio-economic resilience in the City of Poughkeepsie and throughout Dutchess County and the greater Hudson Valley.